Sunday, September 23, 2012

iMedia

I'm Back!

Today I'm going to go on a rant. A rant about a piece of media (song, picture or a video) which I find has affected our culture and myself personally. Through hours of vigorous research I feel as if i found the perfect thing! Mind you this is my opinion, if you don't like it...well it's not my fault.



Well, I don't normally listen to country but I will make an exception for today. This song is called "Watching you" by Rodney Atkins. This song is about a Father (Rodney Atkins) with his son and the realization that kids really do watch you and mimic what you say and do. I don't really know whether Atkins has a son or not, but from what I know, he probably does.

I feel as if this song has a big impact on all people including myself because it tells everyone that people watch you even when you feel like you're alone or 'invisible' so to speak. Atkins wrote this song starting out with an average days car ride, and then makes the day go downhill when the Father, himself, realizes that his son knows a bad word. Atkins did what most parents would, he said, "I was concerned."

Not many would realize right away how this song might affect or change our culture, but if you take the time to truly listen to the words and recognize the meanings then you would understand that this song can make people more aware of their surroundings as well as how they compose themselves in said surroundings.

By compose, I mean how you act verbally and physically during a specific situation. As Benjamin Franklin said,
Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

What he is trying to say at this moment is basically 'think before you speak', 'question before you judge', 'treat others as you'd wish to be treated' and so on so forth. There are tons of other sayings we can make up from this one sentence that Franklin coined.

On top of that I chose this song in the because that is how the rest of the world sees us, an old western film with country music and twangy voices. This video and song matters to the United States population because it holds some valuable information which not a lot of people understand or even know. The idea of people watching you is kind of abstract in this form of society. With all this technology and other distractions it's hard to imagine that people are actually paying attention to you.

DISCLAIMER: This rant below is a montage of some 'conversations' that I've made up from past experiences with different people.These conversations are not real they are only based off of what kind of happens to me at times...

 NOW it's time for a touching 'personal' story (if you can even call it that) in which I explain my point...

I know for a fact how hard it is to believe people are watching me, that is because I found out the hard way... In school I tend not to pay much attention to people or rather to my classmates, especially during a lecture, or even a group discussion. Yes I know what you look like, yes I know what you are saying. No I do not know your name and yes it is weird that you know mine and my brothers and even that I have a dog. No, I do want to know your name, it's just I'm bad at names and I don't start paying attention to you until you have said your introductory phrase. I don't intentionally forget your name or call you Sam when your name is Jack, honestly I just don't watch. Yes I do understand that you know almost every minute detail of me including my favorite color. No i'm not conceited or feel like i'm better than you, I just don't pay much attention. I'm Sorry!

People watch you, and though you may not know them, they probably know more about you than you think. This song "Watching you" clearly states that the son has been 'watching' the dad and mimicking him. Thus causing that father to need to be more careful in his actions and with what he says around other people privately, or even in public.

Yes i'm getting to my point:

This song causes others to be more aware of those or things around them in which could cause harm to themselves or others in the long run. Rodney Atkins demonstrates this perfectly in this cute and cuddly Official Music Video. Thanks for reading! I know this post was kind of long.


Sorry but isn't this kind of true?


No comments:

Post a Comment